Thursday, January 21, 2016

Murals

I have big dreams to create murals, my friend. Big dreams. So what are you doing about it, you may ask? Well... I created a mural in my own room when I was about 16. It was a fun and fancy free experience. I thoroughly enjoyed expressing myself on my walls. Now that I look back, my parents were super generous and trusting to allow me that kind of licence. I will not show pictures lest you, dear reader, lose confidence in my artistic ability and sense. (You know some people like me for my body...of text. Ha!)

Anyway, since my parents won't inhabit their home forever (even though I wish they would), I have decided to redo my mural. They have again given me artistic licence. So trusting, I know. Most parents don't appreciate their children's additions to their walls. Unlike some children, I am hoping to improve any interest buyers may have in their home. My parents may appreciate my 16 year old artistic expressions, but I'm pretty sure most home buyers... Let's just say the current mural would narrow the potential buyers list considerably.

The Gift of Patronage

Now, I have mentioned a kind of awe and surprise that my parents have allowed me to do this. Twice! But I must express my extreme gratitude. Artistic patronage is essential to success in the arts. If you take a gander through art history, successful artists are successful because they had patrons! Michelangelo and Leonardo wouldn't have gone far without people like the Pope and the house of Medici. I can go even farther to say that anyone in any field needs a patron. Someone who takes them on and says, "I know you and have confidence in your abilities--please, have this job." In the job arena, I keep hearing that the key really is who you know.

I haven't had huge examples of patronage in my life like Leonardo or Michelangelo. But I have had enough. My brother Darren was always a very attentive listener as I showed him my sketches and artwork and blabbed on and on about them. My art teacher in middle school was very encouraging. She entered me into competitions and took me aside during art class to give me tips and tricks to push me harder. I felt flattered that she thought I was worth giving extra attention.

Also, my parents have shown extreme trust in and patronage for my artistic abilities. While I am not making bank from my artistic endeavors, I have had little successes so far and can see great potential for even more. For example, once this mural is complete, I will have an excellent showroom of what I can do. Hopefully, this attracts people to use my abilities on their walls.

What is my current plan for my mural? I plan to minimize my suffering and the suffering of everyone else in the household by 1st gathering my materials, 2nd move everything from the room or drape covers, and then begin painting. I can liken this style to a graceful cook. Graceful cooks cut all their vegetables first, gather their materials, and then they turn on the stove. I'm ashamed to say that most of the time I'm gathering my ingredients while the onions are sizzling. It's not exactly that I love that smoked flavor, it's just that I've not reached that 'graceful cook' status yet. I plan to go against my cooking nature for this mural. Smart, huh?

You can expect pictures of my progress in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment